Date:      Sun, 29 Dec 2002 23:09:18 -0800
From:      John Merryweather Cooper <coop9211@uidaho.edu>
To:        stacey@vickiandstacey.com
Cc:        des@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Installed plugger for opera now Gnome sound events gone

I've added freebsd-ports as a CC since this discussion is of general
interest.

Stacey Roberts wrote:

>Hello,
>     I installed plugger-4.0_1 tonight from ports. I am using FreeBSD,
>uname:
># uname -a
>FreeBSD <snip>.vickiandstacey.com 4.7-STABLE FreeBSD 4.7-STABLE #0: Fri
>Nov 15 23:37:50 GMT 2002
>root@<snip>.vickiandstacey.com:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/<snip>  i386
>#
>
>Window manager is Gnome-1.4
>Opera Version:
>Version
>6.03
>Build
>219
>Platform
>Linux
>System
>i386, 2.4.2

Well, first and formost, the Linux version of Opera (and any Linux
binary browser) is not going to be able to use a  FreeBSD-native binary
plugin without some sort of wrapper, etc.  You CAN use www/plugger with
the FreeBSD-native Opera that's recently been added to ports tree. :)
This is sort of a FAQ--ordinarily, the binaries of both port and plugin
MUST match.

>After testing at http://fredrik.hubbe.net/plugger/test.html, all Gnome
>desktop sound volume is now barely audible, including all button-click
>sounds have gone in Evolution-1.2 completely.

First, www/plugger does not itself make ANY changes to the audio or
video sub-systems of X,, GNOME, KDE, or FreeBSD.  By it's nature,
www/plugger is just a wrapper for various audio, graphics, multimedia,
text, and spreadsheet programs to displace web content.  It does just
three things:  1) registers itself to the browser as a plugin; 2)
identifies the capabilities of the various audio, graphics, multimedia,
text, and spreadsheet programs to the browser; and 3) when the browser
desires to display or play given web content (usually triggered by MIME
info imbedded in the link or transmitted by the HTML server), plugger
dispatches this request to the appropriate program in such a manner that
the content is displayed as nearly as the author designed as practical
(there still much work to do here).  So, any audio problem is likely
caused by one of the display-or-play programs playing around with the
sound sub-system.

Second, since you are using a Linux-binary Opera, www/plugger was NOT
doing hte dispatching since it's most unlikely to work given the binary
mismatch.  However, Opera WILL dispatch audio content to some players
and also has inherent ability to play some sound files (as well as play
it's own sound events).

Probably, if you load a mixer application, you'll be able to reset the
audio sub-system.

>Could either of you let me know how I might reverse this please? Is
>plugger supposed work? After installation, I could not locate plugger.so
>anywhere on my system, so I'm no idea as to the success of the
>installation.

Look at the pkg-plist for www/plugger.  You'll see an entry for
npplugger.so.  The name was changed intentionally to comply with the
Netscape Plugin Specification which calls for plugin names to begin with
"np".  Earlier versions of Mozilla would not pick the plugin up.

>As such, repeated clicking of the "Find Plugins" button in Opera
>preferences don't change a thing.

A permanently frustrating activity given that you're using a Linux
version of Opera (and not even the latest one).  If you want to use
plugger with a Linux browser, download the appropriate binary from the
Plugger Home Page and install plugger.so in a directory that Linux Opera
will see the plugin.  Note that display-or-play applications can be any
mix of FreeBSD or Linux binaries so long as each individual application
would run O.K. on FreeBSD independently.  :)

>Hope to hear from one of you soon.
>
>Stacey

jmc