Date:      Fri, 22 Sep 2000 10:40:17 +0300
From:      Odhiambo Washington <vedette@iconnect.co.ke>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: a few questions...

Quoting Elitetek <freebsd@tekrealm.net>:
 [000922 10:14]:
#>first, im using 4.1 release, what is the best way of doing
#>routing/nat/firewall? i want to
#>get this box as secure as possible.
#>

Get some idea from www.mostgraveconcern.com/freebsd and also
www.freebsd.org/ - there is some place with doc on ip-forwarding

#>
#>second, im using a script file to tar selected directories for backup, and
#>wanted
#>to get some opinions
#>
#>for now im just backing up
#>
#>/root
#>/etc
#>/var
#>/usr/local
#>/sbin
#>/usr/home
#>/usr/src/sys/i386/conf
#>

Depends on where you have valuable stuff because som programs like qmail
put so much on /var but again this will entirely rely on your partition
scheme. They say that to be safe BACKUP EVERYTHING ;-) It is worth the
effort.

#>is there anything i should add or remove from that list?
#>i want to have backups if my system should fail/and or is hacked
#>
#>i have all that getting tar'd into one file, and then its stored on a second
#>drive on the system, and i also created a script to upload it to a few
#>other computers fore redundancy

It is good to keep your backups stashed safely outside the machine.

--
Odhiambo Washington
Systems Administrator

To fly, we have to have resistance. -Maya Lin