Date:      Fri, 18 Jun 1999 17:18:03 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
To:        hgoldste@bbs.mpcs.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: dhcp client request for a netblk - ideas?

On Tue, 15 Jun 1999, Howard Goldstein wrote:

> This is what they tell me.  The kind lady at the other end didn't
> have/wouldn't tell me the IP block.

Defeats the purpose of having a block, in my eye.

> Would this work?  I thought the protocol mapped a host address to a
> MAC.  If I did that and pulled the {blah} box back off the lease
> (post-suck) would the ethernet link bomb?  Sure, could try this too.

Depends on who's providing the address.  I don't know of any routers that
try to mix DHCP and ARP.  Sounds like a recipie for disaster though.

> We *are* talking about the phone company.  Is not the phone company
> arrogant simply because they can be?  If I tell them it doesn't
> support DHCP they're going to tell me to buy their cute little $600
> router that'll do this for me.  I wonder how it's doing it

I'd be curious to know.  The Fujitsu solution is pretty space-inefficient
-- two lines per card for what looks like an 8" tall card.  The Copper
Mountain DSLAMs we use fit 24 ports in a 16" card.

>  > > If this were a normal routing situation I'd run gated or something to
>  > > advertise the /28 route but this funky Fujitstu SDSL modem seems to
>  > > have different ideas about routing.
>  >
>  > Fujitsu, eh?  I wasn't aware they made dsl equipment.
>
> Ugly little black box, looks like an audio CD Walkman that joined a
> gym a few months ago.  RJ11 and RJ45 jacks for 10bt and DSL data.  Its
> power supply failed today not more than a few hours before the
> installer came to add the audio/data splitter.  It took some doing but
> after a long phone call at least he was persuaded to leave his
> (presumed functional) modem behind.

Icky.  The photo Fujitsu has on their site looks more like a flattened
Cisco 675 than a big beefy box.

> Man I wish bpf was compiled in the GENERIC kernel, I really would have
> liked to have tried dhclient before unplugging the thing to go home.

I tried to convice them, but they wouldn't have any of it.  Apparently it
does have legal consequences (although Windows machines ship with this
feature built-in ... hm... )

Doug White