Date:      Thu, 19 Jul 2001 02:33:34 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Gary Kline <kline@tao.thought.org>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: emachine's cheap sound config...

Gary Kline <kline@tao.thought.org> types:
> On Thu, Jul 19, 2001 at 01:43:49AM -0500, Mike Meyer wrote:
> > Gary Kline <kline@tao.thought.org> types:
> > > 	A year ago I bought a cheap emachine-500ix box to try
> > > 	out SuSE Linux on.  To my surprise, everything auto-
> > > 	installed.  The box has a cheap sound chip, but it's
> > > 	okay for sound effects.
> > >
> > > 	What FBSD sound config should I add to the KERNEL
> > > 	config file?   Also, what X driver will get X11 up?
> >
> > X should be the same as for Linux; they both use XFree86. Sound - try
> > pcm with and without the sbc bridge driver.
> >
> > > 	This box has a  solid Maxtor drive and I'm planning to
> > > 	use it as my gateway DNS server; behind a firewall or
> > > 	firewalls, everything else....
> >
> > Why do you need - or even want - X or sound on such a box?
> 	X is another matter:: true, I'll rarely touch my DNS
> 	server once it's set, but it'd shore be nice to use
> 	two or more xterms and be able to cut and paste while
> 	getting things tuned.

You don't need an X driver for that. You don't even need the X client
software for that. Put it on the network, and just log in from
multiple xterms on a workstation.  Or multiple puttys, if that's the
client you're using.

If you want to do it in single user mode, you'll need to isntall X,
but you won't need to get the server working. Once you're in single
user mode with the network configured, start an xterm displaying on a
remote X server. You can then start more xterms, etc. from there.

Having X installed without bothering to configure a working driver
means you can run other clients - gkrellm, for instance - on it to
display on your workstation as well.

	<mike