Date:      Fri, 9 Jul 2004 10:29:16 +0300
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@freebsd.org>
To:        Chris Pepper <pepper@reppep.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Finding rc variables

On 2004-07-08 23:50, Chris Pepper <pepper@reppep.com> wrote:
> For naive users (as I am under FreeBSD 5), /etc/rc.d and
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/configtuning-rcng.html
>
> beg the question: "What variables do I need to enable in rc.conf?" Is the
> intention that users will add an _enable variable for each of the 113
> scripts in /etc/rc.d they use, or only a subset?
>
> The Handbook doesn't list the scripts that are toggled via rc.conf
> (which is good from a maintenance perspective), but is a there an
> efficient way to get such a list, or is it really just 'ls /etc/rc.d'?

IMHO such a list would be a pain to maintain.  Additionally, much of its
functionality or usefulness would overlap with the comments of the file
`/etc/defaults/rc.conf' and the rc.conf(5) manpage.

I wouldn't disagree with adding a pointer to the Handbook that redirects the
reader to the comments of /etc/defaults/rc.conf and the manpage rc.conf(5)
though.

Giorgos