Date:      Wed, 10 Jun 1998 11:47:14 -0400 (EDT)
From:      woods@zeus.leitch.com (Greg A. Woods)
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: kernel compile problem

[ On Wed, June 10, 1998 at 08:17:01 (-0500), Richard Wackerbarth wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: kernel compile problem
>
> I argue that, since the tool is a userland program, /usr/sbin is the
> appropriate
> place for it to reside. Because of compile time options, etc. it does not
> belong in the src/sys subtree. The fact that its usefulness is of limited scope
> does not change its fundamental nature.

I think your argument can go one step further too.  Within the stable
release I think it would shake things up a whole lot more to move a tool
about esp. if moving it meant not installing it in /usr/sbin/ any more.

In any case, the fix is indeed quite trivial -- just include the
directory src/usr.sbin/config and all its contents in all of the
kernel-only source distributions.  As I've said already, this *does*
work extremely well in NetBSD-land.

The sudden appearance of config(8) in the kenel distribution might
remind all those people who've had trouble building kernels that this
tool is an integral part of the kernel build process and any changes to
that process require that both the tool and kernel sources that
integrate with its output have to be kept 100% in sync.

BTW, one thing that's never been done before, but which might be a good
idea, would be to introduce backward compatability into config(8) so
that the same binary could build all kernel releases.  This isn't such a
big problem for those of us who use something like CVS to track sources
since we can ensure that we always have corresponding copies of the
kernel and config(8) in our work areas, but for those that don't I can't
think of a better idea.

--
							Greg A. Woods

+1 416 443-1734      VE3TCP      <gwoods@acm.org>      <robohack!woods>