Date:      Wed, 28 Dec 1994 10:37:30 MST
From:      steve@khoros.unm.edu (Steven Jorgensen)
To:        "Christophe Fiorio, LIRMM 67-41-85-78" <fiorio@lirmm.lirmm.fr>, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: sound.doc?

On Dec 28,  8:16, "Christophe Fiorio, LIRMM 67-41-85-78" wrote:
} Subject: sound.doc?
>> Hello
>>
>> Adrian says :
>>
>>  >Hi everyone,
>>  >
>>  >	Could some one point me to a copy of sound.doc. I doesn't seem to
>>  >be part fo the 2.0 distribution, yet it is referenced from the LINT
>>  >configuration. I would very much like to configure my system to use my
>>  >sound card.
>>  >
>>  > [...]
>>
>> I am also interrested in having a copy of this doc. So can you reply
>> in the mailing list ?
}-- End of excerpt from "Christophe Fiorio, LIRMM 67-41-85-78"

	Well, I don't have any doc, but I'll tell you what I did.

	First I grabbed the lines out of the LINT configuration file
	that corresponded to my sound card, and recompiled the kernel.
	You will have to reboot to get the new kernel to work.
	Then I went to /dev, and made the sound devices.  I think the
	command is:

	% ./MAKEDEV snd

	I'm not 100% sure about the snd, but it something close to that
	(maybe audio?).  Anyway, just look at the MAKEDEV script to
	find out for sure.  Once you've done that, you can this:

	% cat /path/to/any/sound.au > /dev/audio

	and the sound card will play it.  Note .au files are sun audio
	files.  To play anything else, you'll have to use sox to convert
	it.  To use other capabilities, you'll have to find the music
	utilities from the network.  I haven't got them yet, so I can't
	tell you what or even where as yet.. :)  Good luck.

						Steve

	PS: playing sounds to /dev/audio will do some WIERD things if
	you have a IRQ conflict.. :)

Steven Jorgensen        | Khoral Research Inc.
steve@khoros.unm.edu    | 6001 Indian School, Suite 200
(505) 837-6500          | Albuquerque, NM 87110
This Space for Rent.	| URL: http://www.khoros.unm.edu