Date:      Thu, 14 Feb 2002 15:18:46 -0600
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@allantgroup.com>
To:        Jaime Kikpole <jkikpole@cairodurham.org>
Cc:        Brian Minder <bmm@minder.net>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Limiting access to DHCP leases

In the last episode (Feb 14), Jaime Kikpole said:
> On Thu, 14 Feb 2002, Brian Minder wrote:
> > I've had success providing this kind of access control with a few flavors
> > of switches, most recently with Extreme Networks gear.  With ExtremeWare,
> > you can assign MAC addresses to specific VLAN's, and choose whether to
> > assign unknown devices to the default VLAN or to ignore them altogether.
>
> 	Correct me if I've wrong, but wouldn't that require entering all
> of the MAC addresses through a telnet connection?  For that matter,
> wouldn't it require doing that for many MAC addresses over many switches?

You should be able to add MAC addresses to a vlan filter with SNMP,
also.  If not, code up an expect script to telnet to the switch and add
the MAC.

If your switches have clustering capabilities, they may propogate the
filter to all the switches participating in the VLAN.  Depends on the
switch.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@allantgroup.com