Date:      Fri, 8 Dec 2000 09:19:04 -0800 (PST)
From:      mike@hyperreal.org
To:        sivkumar <sivkumar@stinfotech.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: problem with file systems on unix

sivkumar wrote:
>       The output of df is given below
>
> Filesystem  1K-blocks     Used        Avail       Capacity     Mounted on
> /dev/ad0s2a    496111   470983   -14560         103%              /
> /dev/ad0s2e    992239   900870    11990          99%               /usr
> /dev/ad0s2f    992239     3211      909649              0%              /var
> procfs              4               4            0                    100%
> /proc

Do you have another OS on a different physical partition on
this drive? I am wondering why the slices are numbered 2a,2e,2f.

You also have not allocated as much space as you said was on the
drive. The size of each slice is the 2nd column. / is 496 KB,
/usr is 992 KB, /var is 992 KB. This is not a good layout, IMHO.

With large capacity drives, I don't see the point in limiting the
size of /usr and /var, unless you are supporting thousands of
users. Just make one big slice on / that takes up the entire
drive. Or two slices, one on / and one that you mount later on
/pub, where you can put web sites and other non-OS stuff.

/usr is 99% full. I can tell you right now that this is simply
because you need to allocate more than 992 KB to /usr, or get
rid of the ports collection. You could move it to /var and
then make a symlink in /usr/ports if you don't want to lose it
or re-slice your drive.

/ is full. If you have /usr on a separate slice, like you do,
there is no reason / should be using all 496 KB you allocated.

What is the output of (run as root)
du -s /bin /boot /dev /dist /etc /mnt /modules /modules.old /root /sbin /stand /tmp

The numbers should be not too different from this:
3848    /bin
591     /boot
56      /dev
1       /dist
828     /etc
1       /mnt
3674    /modules
3674    /modules.old
8       /root
10564   /sbin
1830    /stand
10      /tmp

If any of the numbers are very different, that will be a clue
as to why / is full.

Good luck, and be sure to cc: your replies to the FreeBSD list.
I am not your personal assistant.

   - Mike