Date:      08 Jul 2000 16:33:24 -0700
From:      Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com>
To:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Ssh from FreeBSD laptop to view mail

"Crist J. Clark" <cristjc@earthlink.net> writes:

> [This is not really a -mobile question. Redirecting to -questions.]

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong here.  I haven't read a charter
for this group, but was under the impression that questions concerning
mobil machines running FreeBSD were fair game here.

> OpenSSH is part of the base system of FreeBSD 4.0. No need to install
> the ssh-1.2.27 port.

Already installed and fully running.. I'm familiar with it from past
practice ... why go to something I'm not familiar with?

> > Now I want to have a laptop running FreeBSD 4.0 networked to desktop
> > running Redhat linux, be able to  view/manipulate mail on the parent machine
> > but don't want to  setup pop, imap or  special sendmail stuff.
>
> [snip]
>
> > What would be nice is to just say `mutt' and a ssh connection is
> > started and mail in PARENT:/var/spool/mail/$NAME is viewed, deleted
> > saved etc.

[...]

> Why don't you just connect to the other machine and run mutt?

Unless I'm really missing the boat here, any manipulations done with
mutt in that way would be executed on that machine.  If I saved a
file it would be saved to the wrong machine.  If I deleted mail it
would be missing from the parent not the laptop.  If I split the mail
in a different way,  etc etc.

You snipped the part that explained why, or at least inferred it.

>> Then both machines will have full access to the mail without scewing
>> up the others spool.

What I'm after here is to manipulate the incoming mail spool in anyway
I want without changing the parent machines own spool.  The results of
any actions taken to be executed on the laptop.