Date:      Mon, 26 May 2014 19:46:14 -0700
From:      "Ronald F. Guilmette" <rfg@tristatelogic.com>
To:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: NEVERMIND!

In message <20140527004708.U5669@sola.nimnet.asn.au>,
Ian Smith <smithi@nimnet.asn.au> wrote:

>... might syslog trigger adhoc rotations by
>newsyslog - of a particular log, not all - after learning how to measure
>'stress', perhaps by rates of delta filesize, diskspace consumption etc?

(Not that anyone has any reason to care what _I_ think, but...) I must
say that I like that idea.

The specific thing (i.e. "measurment") that should trigger such an
event/action seems altogether obvious.  If syslogd is writing a file
and it sees that the file in question has just exceeded its allowed
maximum (according to /etc/newsyslog.conf) then it is clearly time to
do something about it.

>Then newsyslog would only need to learn how to be so invoked?

How about "kill -HUP" ?

That seems to be the pro-forma thing that pretty much everything
else already uses as a way to tell any given daemon that it should
wake up and smell the coffee (again).

Of course, *if* one were in fact going to endow syslogd with all of
the intelligence necessary to read, understand, check, and act on the
various max filesize specifications contained within /etc/newsyslog.conf
then that would certainly prompt the question:  Why not just merge the
two programs into one?  (Obviously, that would eliminate the need for
interprocess signaling of any kind.)