Date:      Wed, 08 Dec 1999 09:36:39 +0100 (CET)
From:      Martin Welk <mw@freibergnet.de>
To:        Mike Muir <mmuir@es.co.nz>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG, Greg Lewis <glewis@trc.adelaide.edu.au>
Subject:   Re: Samba Performance

On 08-Dec-99 Mike Muir wrote:

()  smb: \incoming\> put #math.xchatlog
()  putting file #math.xchatlog as \incoming\#math.xchatlog (107.262 kb/s)
()  (average 107.262 kb/s)
()  smb: \incoming\> get #math.xchatlog
()  getting file #math.xchatlog of size 2692307 as #math.xchatlog (1021.84
()  kb/s)
()  (average 1021.84 kb/s)

Somewhere in the Usenet somebody said, that the generic answer to such
a question is to always increase the receive/send buffers for the
socket. Look at [g|s]etockopt(2) for more information.

I have added

socket options = IPTOS_LOWDELAY TCP_NODELAY SO_SNDBUF=262144 \
SO_RCVBUF=262144

(I'm not sure if 256k is really needed, I left it because there are
some Windows boxes connected to the Samba server and I haven't tried
if there's a difference - with 128k I experienced same speed as it's
now with only one machine. But the raising speed was highly noticeable,
especially when copying many many small files!)

() >From speeds increased (quite a bit.. now we're talking :) but upload
()  (incoming) speeds still suck ass.. hrmph.

That's it without increased buffers.

Gruß,
     Martin
--
FreibergNet Systemhaus GbR                   Martin Welk * Sales, Support
Systemhaus für Daten- und Netzwerktechnik           phone +49 3731 781387