Date:      Thu, 21 Jun 2001 20:20:09 +0200
From:      Len Conrad <LConrad@Go2France.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Secondary DNS

>Theoretically, if you were to set a random DNS server
>(say, your ISPs) as your secondary with the root
>servers without actually setting it up as a secondary,
>what percentage of the lookups would fail?

Not very nice netiquette to sneak in somebody´s NS´s into your delegation
records.

They´ll get hit with queries for your domain.  If they haven´t turned off
recursion(dumb), they´ll look up your domain anyway and return an answer,
but it won´t be authoritative (from cache) so it won´t be cached by other
DNS´s.

If they have turned off recursion, then they will give out referrals for
your parent zone.

>My understanding is that DNS will always try the primary
>first

There is not such thing as a "primary" from resolvers' POV. All NS´s in the
delegation data will be queried equally.  The RTT algorithm will cause
resolvers to lock on to / prefer one NS until another NS gets a lower RTT.

Len

http://MenAndMice.com/DNS-training
http://BIND8NT.MEIway.com : ISC BIND 8.2.4 for NT4 & W2K
http://IMGate.MEIway.com  : Build free, hi-perf, anti-abuse mail gateways