Date:      Tue, 27 Apr 1999 20:25:10 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        jkh@zippy.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        jgrosch@MooseRiver.com, tlambert@primenet.com, stefan.bethke@hanse.de, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SETI on FreeBSD

> > Good idea, Terry! Of course, we can all hear Jordan chanting his mantra,
> > "Great, send me the diffs". I'll look at the install code and see if I can
> > figure how to fit this in.
>
> Actually, I really don't think this is CharityBSD and I am not
> particularly enthused at the idea of detracting from the main focus of
> the installer, which is to install systems and nothing more, by going
> in the whole donation / banner advert direction.  I'm sure it would
> have some useful effects, I'll readily grant that, but it just rubs me
> the wrong way to have it here.  My mantra in this case is "I don't care
> if you send me diffs, I don't want that feature in the installer.  Put
> it on a web page." :-)

The point would be to encourage FreeBSD user's to painlessly participate
in "CPU volunteerism" type projects, and thus raise the visibility of
FreeBSD.

I'm not asking that it beg you to do it, default to doing it, or give
an actual list, unless you select the "volunteer CPU cycles" menu
options.

I know that I personally get a slanted view of the world when I go to
one of these projects' home page and see 90 Linux boxes and 4 FreeBSD
boxes (or whatever; the point is FreeBSD isn't the largest number).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.