Date:      Thu, 26 Oct 2000 21:05:18 -0400
From:      Brandon Fosdick <bfoz@glue.umd.edu>
To:        Keith Davey <kdavey@gus33.homeip.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Optical MS Intelimouse and X

Keith Davey wrote:

> Hello.
>
> Quick question.  I picked up a USB/PS2 MS Optical Intelimouse.  I have
> elected to use it as a USB device but am having some difficulty getting it
> to work under X. (3.3.6).
>
> I used XSetup86 and hand entered the port at /dev/ums0.  This is allowing
> my to move the curser with no problems, however dispite trying almost
> every protocal available I can not get any on the buttons to work.  Anyone
> have any expereance with this?

XFree86 3.3.6 can't handle USB mice, you need to go up to at least XF4.0. To get
mine to work with USB I'm having to use moused and then tell xfree to use
/dev/sysmouse. Its not a great solution (only get 3 buttons) and I've heard
there are better solutions, but I don't know what they are.

Good luck, and be sure to report back on anything you find, there are a lot of
us looking for a better solution to this problem.

-Brandon