Date:      Mon, 30 Jul 2001 18:51:33 +0200 (CEST)
From:      wolfgang@lyxys.ka.sub.org (Wolfgang Zenker)
To:        Matt Heckaman <matt@LUCIDA.CA>
Cc:        FreeBSD-STABLE <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: weirdness with DNS

Hi,

> I started seeing this a long time ago, but since it doesn't break anything
> (well, not really) I never got around to writing this email about it. I
> have a machine running 4.3-STABLE as of April 21 2001. When I do a DNS
> lookup on a host that does not exist, it postfixes my domain onto the
> lookup instead of saying Unknown host... [..]

> My /etc/resolve.conf looks like:

> domain lucida.ca

> # epsilon.lucida.ca
> nameserver 209.47.215.67
> # cache01.ns.wcom.ca
> nameserver 142.77.2.4
> # cache02.ns.wcom.ca
> nameserver 142.77.2.36

the "domain lucida.ca" tells your resolver to try to attach lucida.ca
to host names it can not resolve otherwise. Removing this directive
could help. Try "man resolv.conf" to learn more about this.
BTW, resolv.conf is no shell script, so what you might intend as
comment lines might be interpreted very differently by your resolver.

Wolfgang