Date:      Mon, 27 Jul 1998 20:42:14 -0400 (EDT)
From:      CyberPeasant <djv@bedford.net>
To:        mturpin@shadow.spel.com (Mark turpin)
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Intel Providence deal at computer123

Mark turpin wrote:

> On Sun, 26 Jul 1998, Steven Plite wrote:
>
> 	Mine shipped the same way..  Bad box, cheap fan, no thermal
> grease.  The boards are pulls from a toshiba, probably last years model
> which didn't sell well.  The boards were probably pulled at the factory
> and replaced with a pentium II board. Then sold at surplus.

I'd bet that Tosh. 6200M is right. I've got two of these with PPro
200/256K.  I don't know if Toshiba ever shipped the 6200M (defunct
around Dec 1997) with 166's PPro, so I'm betting the
200's were pulled for a different reason, and the 166's are from
who-knows-where. I think there were 180MHz 6200M's, though. The
6200M User's Manual mentions 180 and 200, but not 166.

This is a nice mobo -- nothing wrong with it AFAIK.  A while ago,
Insight remaindered 6200M's for US$895 with 32MB, an ATI Mach 64
video card, and a 4.3GB Micropolis scsi drive. (The last, of course,
is a P.o.S. from a deservedly bankrupt manufacturer). Only one of
the two Micropolis drives I bought still works. :-(   Everything
else is OK. Oh yeah... with kbd, rodent, CDROM and floppy. Oh
yeah...  with NT (*puke*). FreeBSD 2.2.6 runs without incident on
this board.  (So does Linux 2.0.33 and OpenBSD 2.2, fwiw). At the
price the 6200M blows the doors off the "new" sub$1000 boxes.

I /think/ these boards have some kind of net-booting BIOS in the
on-board NIC.

Hmm, Insight is now selling off the 6200M's replacement, the 62?0M?,
which has a PII and an EIDE disk, at around $1000. I think ? = 3.

On the 6200M, Toshiba says to use EDO-ECC /buffered/ DIMMs.  They
shipped with 32MB, so you dudes might want to see if you've gotten
pulled DIMMs from elsewhere. My 6200M's 32MB DIMMs have Toshiba
chips on them and the number 7AF585(2) screened on the pcb.

The original Toshiba CPU fan/heatsink is a nicely-finished-looking unit
with a red/white label on the rotor reading "Cpu Cooler" and "HPIC",
made in Taiwan.  The 'sink is gold-anodized aluminum.

Email me if you need any other info re 6200M.

> 	I don't think that anything is WRONG with the boards.  I would
> have no problem putting this in a production environment.

Agree. haven't tried SMP, though.

> Mark Turpin - mturpin@spel.com
>
> Main Street Technology Centre
> Bedford, VA

Dave
Bedford, PA	HEY, any other Bedfords out there?
--
Sancho Panza: `Microsoft Windows NT Server is the most secure network
	operating system available.'