Date:      Thu, 18 Jan 2007 13:51:51 -0500
From:      Ken Smith <kensmith@cse.Buffalo.EDU>
To:        "Bruce A. Mah" <bmah@freebsd.org>
Cc:        re@freebsd.org, Murray Stokely <murray.stokely@gmail.com>, ru@freebsd.org, doc@freebsd.org, Marc Ren? Arns <dienst@marcrenearns.de>
Subject:   Re: make buildkernel fails without complete source tree

--=-mkVcTdMqy33vnrIfko28

On Thu, 2007-01-18 at 10:27 -0800, Bruce A. Mah wrote:
> If memory serves me right, Murray Stokely wrote:
> > On 1/18/07, Remko Lodder <remko@elvandar.org> wrote:
> >>         This is not true. I downloaded the packages which are being us=
ed by sysinstall
> >>         and extracted them. I found the Makefile, it was properly fill=
ed with instructions.
> >=20
> > It looks to me like src/release/makefile builds the tar file ssys.tar
> > by just tarring /usr/src/sys and therefore would in fact be missing
> > /usr/src/Makefile and /usr/src/Makefile.inc1 necessary for "make
> > buildkernel".
> >=20
> > Taking a look at the tar file:
> >=20
> > cat ssys.a?? > ssys.tar && tar tvf ssys.tar
> >=20
> > I see that only files in /usr/src/sys are included.
> >=20
> > We could add a tar -r -f .. /usr/src/Makefile /usr/src/Makefile.inc1
> > to release.7 in /usr/src/release/Makefile to automatically add these
> > two files as a special case to the ssys distribution.  CCing re@ for
> > any comments on that proposal.
>=20
> I vaguely remember this issue coming up before, and that we didn't make
> any changes to packaging because that in order to use the buildkernel
> target, one "should" have already done a buildworld, which requires the
> complete source tree anyway.
>=20
> (Maybe I'm mis-remembering...)
>=20
> Bruce.
>=20

I don't recall a discussion about this (it may pre-date my involvement
in RE) but my understanding was the 'make <anything>' in /usr/src was
only supported if you load all of the source tree (which is what Bruce
is saying).  Extracting just the sys sources is still useful because you
can do "manual" (old fashioned, which is why I know about it...) kernel
builds on the current system:

	cd /usr/src/sys/i386/conf
	config GENERIC
	cd ../compile/GENERIC
	etc...

But to do anything beyond that you really need the whole src tree.

--=20
                                                Ken Smith
- From there to here, from here to      |       kensmith@cse.buffalo.edu
  there, funny things are everywhere.   |