Date:      Thu, 08 Feb 2001 12:16:36 -0800
From:      "Raymundo M. Vega" <RaymundoVega@home.com>
To:        Julian Zottl <julianz@vsl.cua.edu>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Bridging and routing problem...

The behavior of the switch should be the same if
you use the firewall as a bridge or a gateway.
When the switch is turned on, it uses the packets
in the net to "learn" the channel on which each
MAC address is and should come to a minimum as
time goes.

Rather than answer if bridging is better for your
network, I like to point thet you will have better
control in the firewall if you use it as a gateway.

This is in man bridge:

     Set to 1 to enable ipfw filtering on bridged packets.  Note that ipfw
     rules only apply to IP packets.  Non-IP packets are subject to the de-
     fault ipfw rule (number 65535) which must be an allow rule if we want ARP
     and other non-IP packets to flow through the bridge.

If you use it as a gateway, you can filter TCP/UDP packets as well.

uerte

raymundo