Date:      Wed, 17 Jul 2002 11:40:01 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Brian Reichert <reichert@numachi.com>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: forum for discussing 'make release' issues

Brian Reichert wrote:
> What I had hoped to do was maintain a single build box, on
> which I could maintain the presence of several releases.
>
> I had explored trying to mirror various FTP archives, but I was
> finding difficult to gauge what I needed for diskspace, and how to
> selectively pare out what parts I didn't want or need.  There doesn't
> seem to be a canonical description of how that gets laid out, WRT
> symlinks and whatnot...
>
> I found that it was easy enough to keep a mirror of the source tree,
> as I can extract whatever flavor of source I want.  I had a fantasy
> that that would give me the stepping stone I needed.
>
> But, it seems not to be.  Oh, well.  It was only an experiment. :/

The "normal" way to do this, barring any gratuitous system call
changes(*), is to take the "DISC2" FS image, copy it into a
directory, chroot into the directory, and do the build in the
chroot'ed environment.

-- Terry
(*) *all* system call changes are, by definition, gratuitous; but
    everyone believes they can improve "mount" at some point in
    their naieve young lives, and so there are incompatabilities