Date:      Tue, 07 Jul 2009 11:16:50 -0400
From:      Jeffrey Racine <racinej@mcmaster.ca>
To:        freebsd-gnome@freebsd.org
Subject:   USB/CUPS printer help solicited for the HP P2055dn...

Hi.

I realize this might not be the most appropriate forum, but am hoping
that perhaps someone has experience with this issue and can suggest an
avenue that might prove fruitful.

I am running FreeBSD 7.1-STABLE and the latest gnome installed. I use
CUPS for handling printers and have successfully used CUPS with a color
laserjet (HP1600) for some time now but needed to add a b/w duplex
printer so recently bought the HP P2055dn. Both have usb connections,
but the 2055 is not cooperating. I am using the PPD from HP
(hp-laserjet_p2055dn-ps.ppd) and have tried a variety of things but to
no avail.

My latest attempt was to use ulpt0 and have only one printer connected.
The color laserjet works fine if I connect it and use the 1600 driver,
but if I connect the 2055 I get a `printer busy' command when I submit a
job (same dev so not a permission issue).

HPP2055dn (Default Printer) "Printer busy; will retry in 10 seconds..."

Location:
Printer Driver: HP LaserJet P2015
Series Postscript (recommended)
Printer State: processing, accepting
jobs, published.
Device URI: usb:/dev/ulpt0

There are no relevant warnings/errors that I can see in /var/log/cups

So, I was hoping that perhaps some kind soul is using this (or similar
printer such as the P2015).

Many thanks for your kind assistance.

-- Jeff

--
Professor J. S. Racine         Phone:  (905) 525 9140 x 23825
Department of Economics        FAX:    (905) 521-8232

`The generation of random numbers is too important to be left to chance'