Date:      Fri, 22 May 1998 21:40:59 +1000 (EST)
From:      Andrew Perry <andrew@python.shoal.net.au>
To:        Malte Lance <malte@webmore.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, Andrew MacIntyre <andymac@bullseye.apana.org.au>
Subject:   Re: watch or monitor program?

> So what exactly does it "display" when it "displays w" (content, file-attribs,
> ..) ???

it clears the screen and gives me the output of w (you know, who's logged
in and what are they doing) and then it refreshes the display every 2
seconds (by default, you can change it to whatever you like)

 9:31PM  up 4 days, 10:26, 3 users, load averages: 0.13, 0.39, 0.44
USER     TTY FROM              LOGIN@  IDLE WHAT
andrew   p1  eric              9:29PM     0 (pine)
andrew   p2  eric              9:31PM     0 w

here's the man page if you're interested. I don't think we have anything
like it yet. I might have to try and do it myself.

ps
Andrew Perry

WATCH(1)                     BSD Reference Manual                     WATCH(1)

NAME
  watch - watch a program with update intervals

SYNOPSIS
	watch [-n seconds] program [args ...]

DESCRIPTION
watch is a curses(3) based program that allows you to watch a program
as it changes.  By default, it updates itself every 2 seconds.  You can
specify the number of seconds with the -n option.  The curses
package allows for quick updating of the screen through cursor optimization.  The
program will end with a keyboard interrupt, which will leave the screen
in a valid yet cleared state.

EXAMPLE
     watch -n 1 ps u

SEE ALSO
     curses(3)

BSDI BSD/OS                    December 30, 1994                             1