Date:      Tue, 16 Dec 2014 09:09:19 +0100
From:      Erwin Lansing <erwin@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: I do not quite understand why a BIND upgrade needs to touch soo much.

Hoi Willem Jan,

On Mon, Dec 15, 2014 at 10:15:14PM +0100, Willem Jan Withagen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying get going in the new flow of pkg and poudriere.
>
> So I'm building my packages with poudriere and using pkg (1.4.0)
> to upgrade bind. With the sort of shocking result:
> ======================
> Installed packages to be REMOVED:
>         gettext-0.18.3.1_1
[snip]
> The operation will free 112 MB.
> 23 MB to be downloaded.
> ======================
>
> I can "respect" the fact that some things need to be upgraded as a
> side-effect, eg. ue to lib upgrades.
>
> But why reinstall subversion which for me as user is an edge package
> (nothing depends on it), and not reinstall rrdtools, which has other
> dependancies (cacti).
>
> So just going 'yes' by default leaves me with broken packages.
> Or having to capture the list of removed packages and start adding that
> by hand. Which in the end sort of boils down into doing full-fledged
> 'pkg upgrade', and giving me all new packages, with lots of
> possibilities of broken services due to the upgrades. Requiring me to
> checkout all services and stuff that I have on this server.
>
> As an alternative
> 	portupgrade bind99
> does the job with minimal invasive surgery.
> But then I'm back to maintaining every package on every server just by
> itself.

Maybe the quarterly branches are more for your type of servers?  They
only get security updates, like the bind one here, but not the newest
developments, like the gettext changes.  Of course, this still postpones
the gettext update until the next quarter, but at least that change will
have seen its teething pains ironed out.

http://blogs.freebsdish.org/portmgr/2014/04/02/ports-2014q2-branched/
http://blogs.freebsdish.org/portmgr/2014/07/01/2014q3-branched/

Erwin

--