Date:      Fri, 21 Jul 2000 11:45:46 -0500
From:      "Jonathan Fosburgh" <fosburgh@flash.net>
To:        <Mark.Hummel@hurlburt.af.mil>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: startup Kde??

----- Original Message -----
From: <Mark.Hummel@hurlburt.af.mil>
To: <fosburgh@flash.net>; <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Sent: Friday, July 21, 2000 11:35 AM

> Jonathan,
>
> Thanks for the quick answer.  This is exactly what I want my system to do.
>
> 1.  Boot to a graphical login screen prompting the user for their login
> (from your answer, this would be a display manager)
>
> 2.  With a correct login, the system automatically runs KDE.
>
> Mark

OK, you will have to install a display manager. The one that comes with
XFree86 is installed as /usr/X11R6/bin/xdm. You should be able to find
documentation from XFree86 on how to set it up (it has been so long since I
did it I can't remember what all needs to be done.) The KDE display manager
is installed as /usr/local/bin/kdm.  It will have similar configuration
needs to xdm. The KDE HelpCenter has instructions for how to set this up, as
well. In either even, the user will need to have a .xsession file with the
line

exec startkde

in it somewhere in order to run KDE. The kdm  has a feature that is supposed
to let you select a desktop from a pre-configured list, but I have never
looked into how to use it.