Date:      Mon, 18 May 1998 06:44:18 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "James A. Mutter" <jmutter@insomnia.norden1.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   New harddrive...

I just got a new hd and I want to move *everything* from the old to the
new.  I'm just not sure how to go about it.

I was thinking I could use dd to move the bootsector, but I'm afraid that
the drive geometry and other unwanted data will go with it.  Is this
correct?

Now, assuming that dd works for the bs, whats the best way to move
everything else?  I think I could do it with tar, but I'm not sure if that
will preserve everything, mostly the different slices and such.

The OS is FreeBSD 2.2.6.

I'd appreciate any help/comments.

Thanks,
Jim