Date:      Thu, 9 Sep 2004 02:47:40 -0400
From:      Suleiman Souhlal <ssouhlal@FreeBSD.org>
To:        =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Markus_H=E4stbacka?= <midian@ihme.org>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Sound performance problems in FreeBSD

Hello,

On Sep 5, 2004, at 5:56 AM, Markus H=E4stbacka wrote:

> Hello list, I've experienced sound performance issues from the very=20
> first day I tested 5.x. The problem was that sound skipped whatever I=20=

> did. Now I've reduced the problem a bit with changing my kernel config=20=

> (No, any debug option isn't on or haven't ever been on when I've=20
> tested sound performance). After I recompiled the new kernel the sound=20=

> didn't skip anymore, but now after 10 hour uptime and 5 hours of mp3=20=

> playing the skipping is back. The skipping is like every second=20
> there's a weird noise if I listen to something, like the track would=20=

> go slower for 2/10 seconds of every second, you can imagine how=20
> annoying this can be.

   FYI, after a few IRC discussions with Markus, we've discovered that=20=

turning off the memory part of Gnome's System Monitor applet, would get=20=

rid of the skips. I believe the problem is that both sysctl and the=20
sound drivers are Giant-locked, and so there is some contention. An=20
easy way to reproduce these skips is to run `while true; do sysctl=20
vm.vmtotal; done`, while playing an mp3.

  So, it would be nice to have giant-free sysctl and/or sound drivers..=20=

:)

Bye
--
Suleiman Souhlal     | ssouhlal@vt.edu