Date:      Sat, 25 Aug 2001 11:58:52 +0900
From:      shudo@computer.org
To:        freebsd-java@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Contributing...

Tim Liddelow <tim@ideasandassociates.com> wrote:

> I'm a senior developer / kernel hacker that would like to help out in
> the Java porting effort to my OS of choice, FreeBSD.

I have been afraid of contamination of excellent
developers involved in FreeBSD/Java. As we know, once a
hacker sign Sun proprietary licenses, she/he can
contribute for GNU Java projects no longer. If one has
signed SCSL or the old JDK license to download the JDK
source code, she/he is not allowed to contribute to the
GCJ project, Classpath, and Mauve. Contribution to other
many Java projects like Japhar, SableVM, AromaVM and
kissme may be prohibited.

I have no idea about such a prohibision of
contribution. But the contamination by proprietary
licenses is a real problem.

In Linux case, binary distributions of the recent JDKs
are released by the Blackdown porting team. So even if
the Blackdown team is polluted, users can use the binary
releases without the pollution.

But, the current efforts around FreeBSD/Java is
polluting many excellent hackers with Sun's licenses.  I
have been anxious for this situation. I hope binary
distributions strongly in order to prevent the spread of
the contamination.

I hope you examine the contamination if you download the
source code.

Any idea?

  Kazuyuki Shudo