Date:      Mon, 25 May 2009 14:38:44 +0200
From:      =?UTF-8?Q?Nikola_Kne=C5=BEevi=C4=87?= <laladelausanne@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   How to visualize cache misses with pmc

Hi,

During the tuning of my system, I was using pmc(3) to get various
counters. Most important was the number of retired instructions, which
helped me to discover some bottlenecks. However, I now need to get L2
cache misses, which I do by running:
sudo pmcstat -S L2_LD -O /tmp/sample.out

and then run my module with its workload.

At the end, I have the output in /tmp/sample.out. However, I don't
know how to get that data to anything useful, as gprof output is not
very meaningful.

Any thoughts, hints, best practices?

Cheers,
Nikola