Date:      Mon, 27 Oct 2003 00:57:46 -0800
From:      Gregory Sutter <gsutter@zer0.org>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Cc:        security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Best way to filter "Nachi pings"?

--Qrgsu6vtpU/OV/zm

On 2003-10-27 00:31 -0700, Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org> wrote:
> We're being ping-flooded by the Nachi worm, which probes subnets for
> systems to attack by sending 92-byte ping packets. Unfortunately,
> IPFW doesn't seem to have the ability to filter packets by length.
> Assuming that I stick with IPFW, what's the best way to stem the
> tide?

You could filter by icmptype, with the result that no ICMP ECHO
packets would transit your firewall (i.e. ping stops working).

Here is what I use on one of my hosts.  Comments welcome.

# icmp
#   echo reply, dest unreach, redirect, echo request, ttl exceeded
$fwcmd add 07000 allow icmp from me to any out xmit $eth icmptypes 0,3,5,8,=
11

#   echo reply, dest unreach, echo request, ttl exceeded
$fwcmd add 07010 allow icmp from any to me in recv $eth icmptypes 0,3,8,11

(The remainder are denied by default.)

Greg
--=20
Gregory S. Sutter                   It is no measure of health to be
mailto:gsutter@zer0.org             well adjusted to a profoundly
http://zer0.org/~gsutter/           sick society.     --Krishamurti

--Qrgsu6vtpU/OV/zm

--Qrgsu6vtpU/OV/zm--