Date:      Sun, 26 Mar 2000 19:12:11 -0800
From:      fanboy <bsdkid@pacbell.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Partition Magic

On Sat, 25 Mar 2000, you wrote:

> > I'd kill for a copy with this feature and have requested it since I
> > heard they were going to do the ext2fs support somewhere around v3.
> >=20
> > Bill
>
> I would welcome the addition *and* would pay a reasonable price
> for it. Working with several win based machines with problems is
> a drag, but even PM 4.0 in it's current retail version made my life
> better when doing installs of FreeBSD on them. Even if I had to
> test/move/format in FAT. A published interface would be the best
> deal. Someone could add BSD file system support as an add-on package
> Am I making sense?

I have PM 5.0 and a trick that (if I remember correctly) was useful was t=
he
"unallocated partition" option. Simply use that partition come install. A=
dmitidly
you still have to make a disklabel, but you don't have to fips or any for=
m of
destructive partitioning.

System Commander will make let you set your partition type to just about =
any
thing. (The list of partition types it recognizes is rather large, plus y=
ou can
set your own.) It won't format or put a file system on the resulting part=
ition,
but it's still quite useful. System Commander 2000 is what I currently us=
e as a
boot manager and for partitioning. I find it only slightly more useful th=
an PM
5.0.

Steve Nicholson