Date:      Fri, 2 May 2003 19:53:40 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@clunix.cl.msu.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Zeros and ones

Hi,

This should be easy, but short of writing something specific to do it,
I am not getting my head around how.

It is easy and convenient to use /dev/zero to write out a number of
zero bytes to somewhere - as in:

          dd if=/dev/zero of=zerofile bs=512 count=1770000
                or
          dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/da1 bs=512 count=1770000

But, I would like to write all ones - as in 0xff or maybe some
other pattern - as if there was a /dev/one also.

Is there a nice way to do this using UNIXistic stringing existing
stuff together?   Or do I have to write a little piece of code?

Thanks for any [positive] suggestions.

////jerry