Date:      Wed, 21 Mar 2007 12:26:05 +0300
From:      Yar Tikhiy <yar@comp.chem.msu.su>
To:        Bruce M Simpson <bms@incunabulum.net>
Cc:        Eugene Grosbein <eugen@kuzbass.ru>, net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Interface index hack in IP_ADD_MEMBERSHIP

On Mon, Mar 19, 2007 at 10:28:37PM +0700, Eugene Grosbein wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 19, 2007 at 02:28:52PM +0000, Bruce M Simpson wrote:
>
> > I plan to get rid of the ugly little ip_multicast_if() hack in the IP
> > stack.=
> > Before I do, is anyone actually using this?
> >
> > RFC 3678 specifies a protocol independent API for socket group
> > memberships which allow joins on interfaces referenced by index. This is
> > intended to support IGMPv3 and MLDv2.
>
> I recall that routed and ripd used to utilize something similar
> long time ago. I'm not sure if they have switched to another API.

Quagga still uses it, too, if its configure script detects FreeBSD
or NetBSD.  I'm afraid it was me who submitted the patch to the
Quagga folks when I'd found that Quagga's ospfd couldn't handle
unnumbered P2P interfaces in FreeBSD because their local IPs weren't
unique.  Unfortunately, Quagga doesn't seem to use the protocol
independent part of the RFC 3678 API yet.

--
Yar