Date:      Mon, 18 Oct 1999 09:43:10 +1000
From:      jesse reynolds <jesse@va.com.au>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   how do you turn on / install drivers? (Xircom PC-Card Ethernet)

Hi

Does FreeBSD have dynamicly loadable kernel modules like Linux?

How do I check to see if a certain driver is installed for a certain
piece of hardware?

I know that the xircom driver is now part of 3.3 Release, but it's
not recognising either a CE2 or a CEM33. Might it be "disabled". Do I
have to recompile the kernel or can I just adjust a kernel conf file?

I'd like to know, in general, how you find out if a certain piece of
hardware is supported, and if so how to get it's driver installed and
working. Any clues?

Also, would the fact that I disabled all networking and comms drivers
when booting up from the 3.3 install cd, have any bearing on the fact
these network cards are not being recognised?

Also, is it likely to be a problem if I have both the CE2 (ethernet
only) and the CEM33 (ethernet + modem) cards connected at the same
time?

Please include jesse@va.com.au in reply as I'm not subscribed to
freebsd-questions.

cheers