Date:      Mon, 26 Jun 2006 10:11:06 +0100 (BST)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Pete French <petefrench@ticketswitch.com>
Cc:        freebsd-acpi@freebsd.org, freebsd-stable@freeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 6.x CVSUP today crashes with zero load ...

On Sun, 25 Jun 2006, Pete French wrote:

>> 'k, I'm starting to get the impression that FreeBSD 6.x is evil ... at
>> least as far as Dual-PIII servers are concerned ... on a machine that,
>
> I can't comment on your other problems - but I have a dual PIII server and
> say a 30% performance increase when moving to 6.x over 5.x ... and it's been
> rock solid. I only run releases on that box though, but it does perform
> really nicely on PIII duals when you can get it stable. Seems a shame that
> you are having so many problems.

I'm also running 6.x on several dual-PIII without problems.  An issue local to
Marc's setup is definitely indicated.  Given the failure mode, I would be
worried about a potential hardware issue, although subtle hardware and subtle
system software problems are sometimes difficult to distinguish.

Robert N M Watson
Computer Laboratory
University of Cambridge