Date:        Fri, 24 Mar 2000 22:46:11 +0100
From:      Erik Trulsson <ertr1013@student.csd.uu.se>
To:        Brad Buran <bburan@wam.umd.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: installing FreeBSD

On Fri, Mar 24, 2000 at 04:28:45PM -0500, Brad Buran wrote:
> Ok, last try before i give up and go back to Linux.  I am trying to
> install freebsd on an old computer (pentium I, 8 meg ram) and it crashes
> at various points in the installation telling me "process <number>
> killed: not enough swap space".  as a result, I have to start over.  this
> all happens during the initial configuration steps, before i can commit to
> writing to the disk.  Ideas anyone?

Yep, the installation programs needs more memory than you have.
I think that 3.4 requires at least 12MB to install.
Try installing an older version of FreeBSD and then upgrading from that.
(I know for a fact that FreeBSD 3.2 can be installed on a computer with only
8MB of RAM.)
Or put some more memory in the computer at least temporary. (After the
install is finished and swap has been configured you can get by with 8MB.)