Date:      Wed, 2 Aug 2000 22:26:55 +0200
From:      Neil Blakey-Milner <nbm@mithrandr.moria.org>
To:        Marius Bendiksen <mbendiks@eunet.no>
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Conditionally removing cosmetic messages for small kernels (PICOBSD).

On Wed 2000-08-02 (22:22), Marius Bendiksen wrote:
> > If I were to do/start the work on the rest of the system, would this be
> > acceptable?  Initial patch attached.  (There seems to be "quirk" fixes
> > mixed in with the cosmetic stuff, so the patches aren't as clean as they
> > could be.)
>
> This sounds like a great idea to me. I've been pondering hacking up
> patches for BUILD_TINY/BUILD_SMALL options throughout various system
> utilities, but I just haven't had the time to look at it yet.
>
> Being able to tune various parts of the build process better (memory
> footprint vs speed etc..) would allow us to tailor PicoBSD to more uses
> than we're currently able to.

Oh, I nearly forgot about this.  I sent phk a prototype patch which did
this whole thing more sensibly for pcisupport.c.  It's attached, is
slightly old, but gives the general idea on how to do it.

Feel free to suggest better names for the struct.  The define should
probably be against PCI_QUIET, not "PICOBSD".

Neil
--
Neil Blakey-Milner
Sunesi Clinical Systems