Date:      Thu, 15 Jul 1999 00:47:09 -0700
From:      Doug <Doug@gorean.org>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        davids@webmaster.com, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Known MMAP() race conditions ... ?

Terry Lambert wrote:

> > > I'd be interested in a list of things that FreeBSD doesn't do as
> > > well as the other servers.
> >
> >       I can give you a list of things from my experience (not a
> > webmaster.com employee). Threads, SMP, NFS, and purify. I can't think of
> > anything NT does better than any unix though. :)
>
> I'll argue the threads with you until I'm blue in the face, if
> you want.  8-).

	I don't want, because I'm not qualified to argue the point with you _or_
DS. What I do know is that there are programs that use threads, and those
programs perform poorly on freebsd. Whether not supporting things that are
bad ideas (like threads might be) is the right tactical decision or not is
also beyond me, however you asked for a list, so there you have it. :) When
we spec'ed the servers I'm currently working on we never considered less
than 2 cpu's.

> Yeah, SGI is getting good at SMP.  Buying Cray will do that for
> a company.

	We hold our own at two processors, after that even linux kicks our ass.
Four cpu servers are going to be the norm very soon, this is a game we need
to get into in a big way. (Yes, I know there is a lot of agreement, yes I
know that a lot of people smarter than me know the issues. :)

> The NFS stuff is demoralizing.  Someone should contact the
> Unioversity of Guelph.

	Heh... even if I understood that point, I wouldn't argue it. You have no
idea how happy I am that the nfs client code seems to be holding up now
that I (seem to) have amd whipped into shape. NFS is also going to be the
other norm sooner than later. Given that it seems like we are currently
making good progress on NFS, and given that the issues revolving SMP (and
threads) are bigger, thornier things I personally believe that NFS is our
single biggest priority right now. Some might consider that self-serving,
but I believed that long before I had any use for it myself. Now that I've
seen what a Network Appliance box can do (and relatively cheaply), there is
no question in my mind that solid, high-performing NFS code is what's going
to make or break a server OS in the next 2 years.

> For "purify", if you meant on Linux, I can't believe that you
> are serious, given some of the pig tricks for things like
> NULL pointer arguments to string functions...

	No, not on linux. :)

Doug