Date:      Fri, 13 Aug 2004 21:52:44 -0700
From:      Henrik W Lund <henrik.w.lund@broadpark.no>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   OT: Dead hard drive

Greetings list!

Sorry for the OT post, but this is about the only place I know where
people may have an answer to my problem. See, I have a hard drive that
refuses to be detected by the BIOS. It was working fine and then one
day: power down - power up - *poof* the harddrive is gone from the BIOS
POST.

I've tried exchanging IDE cables, putting it on a different controller,
even a different PC, but it will not be detected. I can hear it spin up
all right, so I know it's not its power unit. The disk had shown no
signs of being about to bail (even though it is a couple of years old).
There's nothing vital stored on it, although I would like to salvage
what I can.

Has anyone got any clue as to what may have happened, and how one can go
about accessing the drive?

Thanks in advance!
-Henrik W Lund