Date:      Mon, 24 Apr 2000 12:01:19 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Lanny Baron <lnb@cybertouch.org>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SNP & RAID

On Sunday, 23 April 2000 at  2:27:42 -0400, Lanny Baron wrote:
> Hello,
> Can I get some information with respect to SNP and how well FreeBSD can
> handle up to 8 processors.

You mean SMP (symmetrical multiprocessing)?  It depends on what you
want to do.  The big limitation is the giant kernel lock which only
allows one processor to run in kernel mode at any one time.  Depending
on your application, this may make no difference at all, or it may
completely bog it down.

> Would anyone know what RAID cards are supported.

Take a look at the release notes, for example
http://www.freebsd.org/releases/4.0R/notes.html.

> Someone sent me mail saying that only Vinum will work.

Don't rely on "someone".

Greg