Date:      Fri, 26 Jun 1998 12:16:27 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Brett Taylor <brett@peloton.physics.montana.edu>
To:        "Ian O'Friel" <Genius@glasgow.crosswinds.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Right, I've got the right KDE files Now........... [Was: What to do with KDE....]

> I wondered why those other files only created Directories....

Just go into the kde directory and type "make all install" and it will go
fetch all the sources and any dependencies that are necessary.

> Now when I try to unTar them I get the message about them not being GZIP
> when I use TAR xvfz <file> and a message like 'Hmmm, Doesn't look like a
> TAR file' when I use TAR xvf <file>, I am taking a wild guess and
> thinking that I need the thing mentioned on the FTP page (bzip2 or
> somethin ?).

Yes - kde files are bzip'ed.  If you just use the port (the "directories
only thing you downloaded before), it will check your system and install
any dependencies, like bzip, for you.  It will then patch the files for
FreeBSD, build and install them.  You can then uninstall the packages if
you decide you don't want it by doing a make deinstall in that directory
or pkg_delete'ing the packages you are no longer interested in.

My guess is that there may be a fairly significant amount of patching
you'll have to do by hand to the sources if you don't use the ports.

Brett
Brett Taylor 		brett@peloton.physics.montana.edu
http://peloton.physics.montana.edu/brett/

If you meet a beautiful woman wearing skintight, clingy
lycra, and one of the first five words out of your mouth
is "Campagnolo" . . . . . you might be a cyclist.