Date:      Fri, 31 Aug 2007 22:45:35 +0200
From:      Benjamin Lutz <mail@maxlor.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Cc:        Sean Bruno <sbruno@miralink.com>
Subject:   Re: rc functions don't allow processes to shutdown

--nextPart1848841.mkgRyaegMq

On Friday 31 August 2007 18:51:23 Sean Bruno wrote:
> Tobias Roth wrote:
> > Sean Bruno wrote:
> >> I noticed that if rc.conf has ntpd_enable=3D"NO", an invocation of
> >> /etc/rc.d/ntpd stop won't actually shut down ntpd.  I checked a
> >> couple of other processes(like net-snmp) and noted the same
> >> behavior.
> >>
> >> I would have expected that rc would be able to invoke the stop
> >> routines if a utility is disabled, but apparently the check for
> >> enabled/disabled occurs much too early in the rc handling
> >> functions for the stop to fire off.
> >> I could investigate further, as I am sure that it's a fairly easy
> >> fix to allow the stop functions to be invoked regardless of the
> >> enable/disable state.
> >> Does it make sense to anyone else that the rc functions should be
> >> able to shutdown a process when it has been disabled in rc.conf?
> >
> > /etc/rc.d/ntpd forcestop
>
> Indeed one could invoke that.  My question is more about what 'stop'
> should or should not do.
>
> Specifically, should it 'stop' when a process has been disabled?

Consider this: all init scripts are called with stop on shutdown. If=20
stop always does something, then you'll have many init scripts trying=20
to stop processes that aren't actually running.

While this shouldn't hurt the system too much, other than slightly=20
slowing down a shutdown, it doesn't feel like clean design to me. Nor=20
would adding an rc.d-internal-stop.

forcestop is a good solution for this issue imo.

Cheers
Benjamin