Date:      Thu, 4 Jan 2001 12:48:27 -0500 (EST)
From:      Kenneth Wayne Culver <culverk@wam.umd.edu>
To:        Marc Tardif <intmktg@CAM.ORG>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: kernel threads

> Are threads on FreeBSD 4.x implemented at the
> kernel level?

No, as far as I know, those are coming in FreeBSD 5.0 (which won't be out
for a while)

> If so, since when (I remember 2.x used MIT-threads,
> so I'm guessing at least since 3.x)?
>
> How can I see for myself that threads are really
> implemented at the kernel level? I looked around
> in /usr/src/sys/kern, but couldn't find anything
> relating to threads there.

They aren't really implemented at the kernel level yet, but something like
kernel threads will be in 5.x when it comes out. If you really need kernel
threads in FreeBSD take a look at /usr/ports/devel/linuxthreads. Those do
kernel threads through a call to rfork I believe.

Ken