Date:      Sun, 16 Aug 1998 20:01:11 -0300 (ADT)
From:      026809r@dragon.acadiau.ca (Michael Richards)
To:        security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Why don't winblows program have buffer overruns?

Hi!
I have been following the buffer overrun discussions for quite some time.
One thing that I have always wondered is:
Why aren't there buffer overruns for winblows that overrun the stack and
execute nasty code? I realise that there is no way to get a shell, but being
able to exec "format" is still a useful thing for a cracker to do on a
windows box.

Is there something different about the way those programs execute, and if
so, other than the suid ability, what advantages does the BSD way of doing
things have?

-Mike