Date:      Sat, 17 Jan 2004 02:20:08 -0800 (PST)
From:      Eivind Olsen <eivind@aminor.no>
To:        freebsd-i386@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: i386/61443: FreeBSD 5.2-RELEASE installation stops at /stand/sysinstall

The following reply was made to PR i386/61443; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Eivind Olsen <eivind@aminor.no>
To: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Dag-Erling_Sm=F8rgrav?= <des@des.no>
Cc: FreeBSD-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Subject: Re: i386/61443: FreeBSD 5.2-RELEASE installation stops at
 /stand/sysinstall
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2004 11:19:21 +0100

 --On 17. januar 2004 02:34 +0100 Dag-Erling Sm=F8rgrav <des@des.no> wrote:
 > Eivind Olsen <eivind@aminor.no> writes:
 >> 	The FreeBSD 5.2-RELEASE CDs are unable to start the installation.
 > What happens if you try to boot with ACPI disabled, or in safe mode?

 The same thing, it seems. It doesn't get any further, at least not as far=20
 as I can see on the console.

 I just tried booting it without ACPI in verbose mode:

 unset acpi_load
 boot -Dhv

 and the last lines of output I see are:

 Mounting root from ufs:/dev/md0
 start_init: trying /sbin/init
 start_init: trying /sbin/oinit
 start_init: trying /sbin/init.bak
 start_init: trying /stand/sysinstall

 When booting in safe mode, the last output I see is:
 Mounting root from ufs:/dev/md0

 I have not booted in safe mode with verbose output since I'm not sure how=20
 to activate safe mode with commands to the boot menu.

 One thing I forgot to mention is that I can boot+install FreeBSD 4.9 just=20
 fine on that laptop, it's the 5.x (5.1 + 5.2, haven't tested 5.0) series=20
 that's giving me problems.

 --=20
 Regards / Hilsen
 Eivind Olsen