Date:      Thu, 12 Mar 2015 09:16:34 +1030
From:      "O'Connor, Daniel" <darius@dons.net.au>
To:        Kim Shrier <kim@westryn.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD Hackers <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: file system change notifications

> On 12 Mar 2015, at 05:31, Kim Shrier <kim@westryn.net> wrote:
> I have a project where I need to notice changes to files in a large =
directory tree.
> I noticed that there was a project in GSOC 2010 to implement such a =
feature.
>=20
> https://wiki.freebsd.org/SOC2010IlyaPutsikau=20
>=20
> It appears that it was never completed.  Is it desirable to have this =
project
> completed and added into FreeBSD.  Or, is there another way to get =
file
> system change notifications?

The 'standard' way is kqueue + masses of file descriptors.

I am looking at using auditpipe(4) since you can register to be notified =
for all file modifications and you get a path.

I wrote some test code at =
https://gist.github.com/DanielO/e36de242e79fed3fe4f7

Ideally we could add an inotify() syscall although I think that is still =
suboptimal since you need to add a watch per directory so it can be =
relatively expensive to setup. That said working out what to do in the =
face of links and so on is tricky..

--
Daniel O'Connor
are so many of them to choose from."