Date:      Wed, 25 Jul 2001 22:28:57 -0700
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        "Sean Chittenden" <sean-freebsd-questions@chittenden.org>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: No keyboard at boottime prevents use of keyboard later!

Most people that run several servers use electronic keyboard switches.
It's only the sites with hundreds of individual server boxes where
the electronic keyboard switches become economically impractical.  Consider
also that unlike mouse ports, you can destroy keyboard ports by
plugging and unplugging keyboards when the box is hot (because the
electrical design of the port does not have any protection diodes to
damp surges down, unlike RS232 which is designed for this)  Of course,
too many people have gotten away for too long without burning up keyboard
ports by hot plugging to get most of the masses to believe you, but if
you ask an EE that designs motherboards they will tell you the truth.
It only takes one, though, and I know I've fried at least 2 keyboard ports
when I was younger and stupider.

In short, the software does it right.