Date:      Thu, 17 Jun 1999 11:19:25 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        des@flood.ping.uio.no (Dag-Erling Smorgrav)
Cc:        cjclark@home.com, pechter@shell.monmouth.com, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sar

Dag-Erling Smorgrav wrote,
> "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com> writes:
> > Dag-Erling Smorgrav wrote,
> > > Bill Gates *is* a villain in a James Bond movie. Haven't you seen
> > > _Tomorrow Never Dies_? Who do you think Elliot Carver is modeled on?
> > Rupert Murdoch.
>
> I disagree. Some of his quotes are very obvious "kicks below the belt"
> to Bill Gates.

Roger Ebert:
      "[Bond's] enemy in ``Tomorrow Never Dies'' wants to start a war
      in order to create headlines for the launch of his latest news
      channel. Just imagine what Rupert Murdoch and Ted Turner would
      like to do to each other and imagine either one of them doing it
      to the Chinese, and you'll get the idea."

Ruthe Stein (San Francisco Chronicle):
      "Credit screenwriter Bruce Feirstein with coming up with a
      worthy evil adversary: Elliot Carver (Jonathan Pryce), a media
      mogul who is a combination of Rupert Murdoch and William
      Randolph Hearst."

Wade Major (Box Office Magizine):
     "Like assorted previous Bond villains, most notably "Moonraker's"
     Drax, Jonathan Pryce's Elliot Carver is a madman of the wealthy
     industrialist variety, a Rupert Murdoch-like newspaper and
     satellite maven who fancies "making" the news rather than simply
     reporting it."

John Hatl (Film.com):
     "Carver models himself on William Randolph Hearst, he quotes from
     Citizen Kane ("You provide the pictures, I'll provide the war")
     and is clearly meant to suggest Rupert Murdoch in a
     sabre-rattling mode."

Jim Byerley (HBO Film Reviews):
     "The natty villain of today is closer to Rupert Murdoch than
     Oddjob."

Although there very well could have been a rip or two aimed at Gates,
I'd have to say that Murdoch is probably the best match overall when
it comes to megalomaniacal corporate barons.