Date:      Wed, 3 Oct 2007 00:37:17 GMT
From:      Bill Tillman <btillman99@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   i386/116848: Diskless Booting - make distribution fails with Error Code 64

>Number:         116848
>Category:       i386
>Synopsis:       Diskless Booting - make distribution fails with Error Code 64
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
I have been trying to get a server setup to serve some diskless clients. Everyone tells me that diskless is a snap...but the docs leave me wanting to swallow a cyanid pill...been at this a long time and at least I'm convinced that something must be outdated in the docs or diskless just doesn't work anymore.

I follow the steps in man diskless for pxeboot. And I have read many HOWTO articles on diskless setup with FreeBSD. But each time I try to build the server files to serve the clients with these commands:

export DESTDIR=/dksro (or I sometimes try setenv)
cd /usr/src
make world
make kernel
cd etc
make distribution

I get a dozen or so lines of text and then the process fails with this message:
install: wrong number or types of arguments
useage: install [-b-CcpSsv] [-B suffix]...etc