Date:      Fri, 8 Dec 2000 19:37:37 +0100
From:      Martin Machacek <m@m3a.cz>
To:        Eric Masson <e-masson@kisoft-services.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: NeoMagic 256AV in Dell Lattitude LS

On Thu, Dec 07, 2000 at 11:00:59AM +0100, Eric Masson wrote:
> Looks like a 256AV without AC97 Codec.
>
> On my laptop, the neomagic is the 0x00dd1014 card.

Mine is  0x00801028.

> Check the card number corresponding in your laptop and then add it to
> the badcards struct in neomagic.c

> /usr/src/sys/dev/sound/pci/neomagic.c
> static void 	 nm_wrbuf(struct sc_info *, int, u_int32_t, int);
>
> static u_int32_t badcards[] = {
> 	0x0007103c,
> 	0x008f1028,
> 	0x00dd1014, /* add after this one */
> };
> #define NUM_BADCARDS (sizeof(badcards) / sizeof(u_int32_t))
>
> Recompile your kernel with pcm enabled, the machine shouldn't hang
> anymore.

I did it and really the kernel system does not hang anymore but ...

> device pcm doesn't work on my box, I have to use the following :
> device		pcm0	at isa? port 0x530 irq 5 drq 0 flags 0x11
> following the settings found in bios and man pcm.

I wasn't able to find any kernel configuration that would allow me to
actually use the device.

I've tried everything sensible (IMHO), ie:

device pcm

device pcm0  at isa? port 0x530 irq 5 drq 0 flags 0x11
(the card should be detected as MSS compatible, right)

device pcm0 at isa?  port 0x530 irq 10 drq 0 flags 0x11
(the probe says that the card uses irq 10 - as a matter of fact all PCI
devices on my machine except for IDE controllers and built-in WinModem
use this irq)

device pcm0 at isa? port 0x3c0 irq 10 drq 0 flags 0x0
(this exactly matches resources that Windows claim this device is using)

device pcm0 at isa> port ? irq 10 drq 1 flags 0x0
(per some older advice found in freebsd-questions archive = another attempt
on MSS compatibility mode)

None of the above works. The system never detects any pcm device.  Using
boot -v I wasn't able to find anything that would give me a clue what is
wrong. In all isa? cases I see somthing like:

mss_probe: no address given, try 0x530
mss_detect, busy still set (0xff)
pcm0 failed to probe at port 0x530-0x537 irq 10 drq 1 on isa0

I have another datapoint; OSS 3.9.3s for FreeBNSD 4.x works for this card
and cat /dev/sndstat says:

OSS/FreeBSD 3.9.3s (C) 4Front Technologies 1996-2000

Kernel: FreeBSD 4.2-RELEASE #3: Thu Dec  7 12:22:27 PST 2000
    root@prdik.terabeam.com:/usr/src/sys/compile/PRDIK

		Card config:
		Neomagic NM2200

		Audio devices: