Date:      Sat, 20 Nov 2004 03:35:49 +0100
From:      Max Laier <max@love2party.net>
To:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Proposal regarding security chapter

--nextPart4352230.lrONRM7I4I

On Friday 19 November 2004 21:33, Tillman Hodgson wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 19, 2004 at 09:01:15PM +0100, Remko Lodder wrote:
> > Tillman Hodgson wrote:
> > >"Firewall", by itself, doesn't feel like an intuitive place to split
> > >topics to me (aside from the convenience of its size).  However, I
> > >can see a natural split between network security and host security.
> > >In that scenario, MAC would become the largest portion of the host
> > >security chapter.
> > >
> > >That still leaves security with 2 chapters, unfortunately. It only
> > >addressed the page count balance between the two chapters.
> >
> > Well, i had a tiny little discussion on EFNet on our docs channel
> > (#bsddocs) and there is another suggestion to make a section V for
> > security and place all security related stuff in there like
> > MAC,Firewalls,Secure system stuff (or whatever it should be named).
>
> I like this idea the best.
>
> Ok, granted, in one of aspects I'm a security consultant and so I'm a
> /little/ biased as to it's importance, but there's a practical benefit
> as well: Each topic gets it's own chapter. And, seriously, some of the
> Security sub-chapters suffer from too-many-sub-level-itis. This would
> alleviate a lot of that.
>
> > I do not think that it's good to place Firewall and Mac into one
> > chapter. But that's perhaps a bit of taste :)
>
> Nope, I agree with you. I was proposing to have a network and a host (or
> local, which Tom suggested for a name) chapter. Firewalling would be in
> the network chapter, MAC would be in the local chapter. This is now my
> second-best ideal, though, after the new Section V idea.

MAC is not strictly local or host, it has it's fingers in the netstack as=20
well. Since MAC is a complete system to look at security I think it's good =
to=20
keep all documentation regarding it in one chapter under the TBD Security t=
op=20
level chapter. The same is true for Firewalls. Though a firewall *is* a vit=
al=20
part of "III. System Administration" as well as "IV. Network Communication"=
=20
the firewall itself is as system to serve on purpose: "V. Security".

I strongly support your point that security is an important topic. Hence, i=
t=20
should be really easy for new and especially advanced users to find the=20
information that relates to security. Moreover, it should be easy to go to =
a=20
specific subtopic within the security scope - such as Firewalls->PF ;) or=20
MAC->Biba. It's not effective to go through several pages just to find thes=
e=20
information.

=2D-=20